Friends, we are in the last day of August- August 31. As we go into the fall and trials are heating up in our nation and world- we must reaffirm our commitment to press into the throne of grace with worship, prayer, repentance and fasting. Some of you may have been watching and praying with us, but haven’t felt up to a 40 day fast. I encourage you to engage in a 7 day fast in September. Even if you haven’t started, please join us! Pick 7 days in September and fast till 4pm on those days!
For those of you who have been doing the 40 day fast- keep going! Press in! You are doing great! If you are just fasting breakfast, I encourage you to pray about picking 1 day this week to go a little longer- perhaps till 4pm.
Some of you have told me that you have done water fasts. This means to drink lots of water and not eat food or drink any other kinds of liquids. Praise the Lord for your commitment and for overcoming difficulty! God will meet you in your fast. If you have been doing a lot of fasting from breakfast and lunch, consider extending it from 24 hours of refraining from solids to 48 hours this week. Do this in prayer!
For those of you who are fasting, but feeling stuck in your prayer life, get together with another believer who is fasting to pray together. You can even pray on the phone together! Join together! Unity will bring power and the anointing of God.
How good and pleasant it is
when God’s people live together in unity!
2It is like precious oil poured on the head,
running down on the beard,
running down on Aaron’s beard,
down on the collar of his robe.
3It is as if the dew of Hermon
were falling on Mount Zion.
For there the Lord bestows his blessing,
even life forevermore.
Unity of God’s people brings the anointing of the Holy Spirit. When you join with other believers, the Spirit of God will show up in power.
Matthew 18:18-20 says “Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. ‘Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”
I have grown up in the church my whole life. It seems like most Christians like to identify themselves more by the things that separate them from other Christians than what joins and unifies them. We focus on music styles, and we focus on the minors. We should all focus on the cross of Jesus Christ- our need for him and the power of the gospel to raise people up from death to life!
The Matthew 18:18 passage is an encouragement from Jesus on relationships and forgiveness. We have the power of the cross to release people from our judgement and anger. We have this power in Jesus to find emotional and spiritual freedom from bitterness. In order to be affective for Christ, we must – absolutely must- walk in the power of forgiveness. Forgiveness is ours in Christ. Freely have you been given, freely give!
My friends, people are not your enemies. Your battle is not against flesh and blood. Your spouse is not your enemy. People from another political party are not your enemy.
Why do we keep using our tongues as swords to cut other people apart? Why do we spread gossip and slander? Why? Why do churches try to compete with each other? We all have the power of God through Jesus. There are plenty of people in the world who need evangelism. Why do we compete? What does Jesus say about competition in the body of Christ?
In Luke 9:49-50 we see this example-
“Master,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we tried to stop him, because he is not one of us.”
“Do not stop him,” Jesus said, “for whoever is not against you is for you.”
Satan brings divisiveness and hatred. He promises unity and healing through political movements and politicians, but only continues to work to divide and conquer our nation and church. He is always bringing accusations against other believers in our minds. It’s time that we put down our arms against each other and take up our swords together against the enemy. We must stand united. God has set up the church to be an example to the world and to the enemy in heavenly realms. When people who are different- different skin colors, different backgrounds, different culture, different denominations come together to pray, fast and seek God’s face, in the name of Jesus, we will experience a powerful anointing from God.
We need to know our God is a big God. He is God and father over his whole family. God doesn’t see his white church or his black church. He sees his church. We are all a part of his family. When we start to go into our prayer closets and seek his face, we will be transformed. We will hear from him. Then we can come out in the power of forgiveness and stand in unity with other churches and other people.
When your relationships are in good order, the enemy has very little ground to attack you from.
Let’s pray and ask the Lord to heal our hearts and our land today.
- Father, in Jesus’ name, I worship you today. I worship your name. (Spend time worshipping the Lord in your own words.)
- Your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. I pray that your kingdom will be built in my heart and life, Lord! Build your kingdom in my nation and in my state. Build your kingdom in the hearts of you people. Lord, I pray that in this nation the body of Jesus Christ will rise up.
- Build unity in your body. Build unity in your church. You see us as one church. Give us spiritual eyes to see and spiritual ears to hear. Deliver us from our own destruction through pettiness, selfishness and divisiveness, in Jesus’ name. Please bring healing to our people. There is intense warfare going on right now. Please defend us, Oh Lord. Defend your people. Raise up your people, Oh Lord. Unite us in Christ.
- I forgive those I hold grudges against, Lord. I forgive those who have injured me and have hurt me. I forgive as you have forgiven me. (Bring your pain to the Lord. Don’t stop with my words. List people you need to forgive and ask the Lord to bring anyone or any organization – including politicians, celebrities and the like- who you need to forgive.)
- I ask that you forgive me, Lord. Reveal any and all sin to me that I need to repent from. Forgive me for walking in bitterness, Lord. Forgive me for all sin known and unknown. As the Lord brings things to your heart, repent in Jesus’ name.
- Lord, provide for my needs. Lead me. Guide me. Establish my steps, Oh Lord. Teach me how to live trusting you for guidance and to provide for me. Give me wisdom. Supernaturally speak to me on how to prepare spiritually for the times we are living in. Show me how to physically prepare my family. Show me how to spiritually prepare. I need to be led by you, God.
- Lead me not into temptation. (Pray about things you are tempted to do. Give God your weaknesses.) I want to live in your victory! Take my test and give me a testimony, Lord.
- Deliver me from the evil one. “Lord evil and wickedness are increasing over this earth. I stand in the protection of the Son of God who came to earth, lived a sinless life, was crucified dead and buried and rose again on the third day. I am seated with you Jesus in heavenly realms far above all rule, power, dominion and authority. No weapon formed against me shall prosper. I plead the blood of Jesus over my life and my family. I break every curse over my life and my family. I break every hex and spell- I am a child of God. Jesus became a curse for me and I am not under any curse, I am in Christ! I pray Lord that you will send confusion into the enemy’s camp in Jesus’ name.
- Increase my faith, Oh Lord. Build me up in my inner being that Christ may be at the very center of my life. (Give God your fears and ask him to forgive you for not trusting. Ask him to fill you with faith.)
- Fill me with your Spirit. I invite you to fill my life. I want to be led by you. In spirit and in truth, Lord. Lord, I surrender my life to you. I need you to fill every part of me. I love you, Lord!
- Pray for the nation.
- Pray for justice and righteousness to prevail in the streets, in racial reconciliation and in the police force. Pray for godly men and women to be raised up in the police force to lead the way. Pray for men and women of righteousness to lead the way in the black community to be a light for many to follow to freedom. Pray that God will remove unrighteous and dangerous people from leadership who are bringing harm and leading many into dangerous spiritual territory. Pray for the Lord to expose dangerous people on the police force who need to step down from authority. Pray for protection of those marching for justice on the streets and for those police who are in harms way. Pray that the Lord will destroy Satan’s plans to bring confusion and a curse over the issue of racial reconciliation and justice. Pray for peace and deliverance from evil. Pray for national healing.
- Pray for the Lord to remove the blinders from the eyes of those who are deceived. Pray for many to be saved. Pray for the Lord of the harvest to bring in his harvest. Ask him to call more workers into the harvest field.
- Pray for the Lord to protect vulnerable women and children. Pray for the Lord to deliver those who are trapped in abusive situations and in difficult pregnancies. Pray for God to intervene to bring about an end to abortion.
- Give the Lord glory and praise! Enjoy being in his presence.