Today, our prayer focus is for the Lord God to expose corruption in the board room. We are asking the Lord to oppose dishonest scales and dishonest business and to expose the corrupt funding of evil in the U.S.
We walk by faith, not by sight. When you are fasting, you won’t always feel like it’s making a difference. We obey God- not based on our feelings, but based on faith in his promises and his word. “For no matter how many promises God has made, they are “Yes” in Christ. And so through him the “Amen” is spoken by us to the glory of God.” 1 Corinthians 1:20
Let’s take a sneak peek at true fasting and the condensed list of God’s promises for fasting in Isaiah 58.
“Shout it aloud, do not hold back.
Raise your voice like a trumpet.
Declare to my people their rebellion
and to the descendants of Jacob their sins.
2 For day after day they seek me out;
they seem eager to know my ways,
as if they were a nation that does what is right
and has not forsaken the commands of its God.
They ask me for just decisions
and seem eager for God to come near them.
3 ‘Why have we fasted,’ they say,
‘and you have not seen it?
Why have we humbled ourselves,
and you have not noticed?’
“Yet on the day of your fasting, you do as you please
and exploit all your workers.
4 Your fasting ends in quarreling and strife,
and in striking each other with wicked fists.
You cannot fast as you do today
and expect your voice to be heard on high.
5 Is this the kind of fast I have chosen,
only a day for people to humble themselves?
Is it only for bowing one’s head like a reed
and for lying in sackcloth and ashes?
Is that what you call a fast,
a day acceptable to the Lord?
6 “Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?
7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe them,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness[a] will go before you,
and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard.
9 Then you will call, and the Lord will answer;
you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.
“If you do away with the yoke of oppression,
with the pointing finger and malicious talk,
10 and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry
and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
then your light will rise in the darkness,
and your night will become like the noonday.
11 The Lord will guide you always;
he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land
and will strengthen your frame.
You will be like a well-watered garden,
like a spring whose waters never fail.
12 Your people will rebuild the ancient ruins
and will raise up the age-old foundations;
you will be called Repairer of Broken Walls,
Restorer of Streets with Dwellings.
13 “If you keep your feet from breaking the Sabbath
and from doing as you please on my holy day,
if you call the Sabbath a delight
and the Lord’s holy day honorable,
and if you honor it by not going your own way
and not doing as you please or speaking idle words,
14 then you will find your joy in the Lord,
and I will cause you to ride in triumph on the heights of the land
and to feast on the inheritance of your father Jacob.”
For the mouth of the Lord has spoken.
Let’s break down those promises of God that are yes and amen!
- Looses the chains of injustice
- Unties the cords of the yoke (Notice this is listed separately from 4.)
- Sets the oppressed free
- Breaks every yoke (that means there is NO yoke that true fasting cannot break)
- Produces sharing food with hungry and providing the poor wanderer with shelter
- Clothing the naked
- Restoration of family relationships
- Light to break forth like the dawn
- Healing to quickly appear
- Righteousness will go before you
- The glory of God will be your rear guard- It protects you!
- Causes the Lord to quickly answer you
These promises come with conditions. This is a heart and life change. When we submit and surrender our lives to the Lord, God blesses us. Jesus saves us and the Lord uses fasting to help sanctify us.
- Stop exploiting people/workers.
- Stop contentious infighting.
- Do away with the yoke of oppression. – The yoke is a metal bar that binds two work animals together, such as oxen. It can also be a symbol of slavery or being under slavery physically or spiritually. When you are yoked to someone or something, you both are connected and inseparable due to being tied with the cords to the yoke. Deliverance comes when the things that tie you up to the yoke are untied. This can come in the form of being relationally or emotionally tied to someone you are bonded to- especially to an unhealthy person. For example, if you grew up with someone in your life who was always speaking negative things over you- those lies and curses can bind you to the yoke of slavery. A true fast will seek the Lord to untie those lies, those curses spoken over you and to ask God to break them, in Jesus’ name.
- Loose the chains of injustice. Stand up for those with no voice. Be a light. Be a positive change where there are injustices and innocent people being oppressed wrongfully.
- Set the oppressed free. Pray with those who need spiritual freedom. Give money and resources to those ministries who work to end oppression around the world. Put your money and time where your faith is.
- Untie the cords of the yoke and break the yoke. We already discussed doing away with the yoke. You must uproot the things that tie you to the yoke and ask God to release you from bondages that you have walked in. For example, a woman may be yoked to a spirit of rejection, because a fiancé broke up with her. She always carries around the yoke and heaviness and identity of rejection. Once she intentionally forgives the fiancé and prays to take back her emotions that she gave to him and give those to the Lord, she will find freedom from the fear and stigma of rejection.
- Break the yoke- when fasting, we can do spiritual warfare and rebuke spirits that have bound us up and weighed us down to leave. Command those spirits of fear, rejection and any other that is harassing you to leave in the name of Jesus. Jesus told Peter “Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” If there is a spiritual breakthrough that needs to happen- fasting can help accomplish this- when accompanied by prayer and spiritual warfare. “Leave, in Jesus’ name.”
- Share your food with the hungry. (This is obvious)
- Clothe the naked and shelter the homeless.
- Keep the Sabbath.
- Speak no idle words. (May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be holy and acceptable to you, My Lord, My Rock, My Redeemer.)
Today, our prayer focus is for the Lord God to expose corruption in the board room. (This is similar to the types of things that Isaiah 58 calls for the elimination of.) We are asking the Lord to oppose dishonest scales and dishonest business and to expose the corrupt funding of evil in the U.S.
“Father, in Jesus’ name, I ask today that you teach me to fast in a way that honors you. I pray and thank you for the promises in Isaiah 58 about fasting. I thank you that you always honor your promises. Every promise of God is yes and amen in Christ. Lord, purge the unforgiveness in my life. Cleanse my life from contention and fighting. I need to walk in forgiveness and grace, not in arguing and fighting.”
“Teach me to surrender my life to you in these areas. Lord forgive me for malicious talk and gossip. Please cleanse my life from it. Purify my heart. Forgive me for blame shifting in my relationships. I need to take responsibility for my actions and my short comings. Lord, show me who you want me to serve, who you want me to help. Bring people into my life who I can minister to, in Jesus’ name. I want to help the poor and bless those in need. I want to be the hands and feet of Jesus to the world. I pray that you will expose all corruption in the boardrooms across America. I pray that businesses that are taking advantage of people with dishonest scales will be uncovered.”
“I ask Lord that you will expose the evil in these companies that are attempting to normalize the exploitation of children. Expose the demonic agenda, in Jesus’ name. Continue to expose Planned Parenthood and let the world see what it is really doing. Continue to change hearts and minds. Lord, expose corruption where business exploit the poor. I pray that you will uncover the corruption and allow your Spirit to bring cleansing. Lord, break the yoke of oppression around the world. Save the children, Lord. Uncover where children are hidden. Expose trafficking rings. Quickly bring justice to those people who are stuck in these horrific situations. Lord, raise up into the highest office of the land during this election the person you have ordained for office. I pray against all corruption to bring disruption to our political system and voting system, in Jesus’ name.”