Calling. The age old search for meaning, direction and focus. What is my calling? What is my purpose? What am I here for? What does God want from me?
For the believer in Jesus, our calling and our assignment are two different things. Everyone has the same calling.
- We are called out of darkness and an allegiance to the world into light and an allegiance to the King and the coming of his kingdom on earth.
- We are called out of rejection, abandonment and loneliness into adoption, belonging, and acceptance in the beloved.
- We are called out of sin and depravity into redemption and consecration for the Lord.
- We are called out of the enemy ranks into the ranks of the army of God.
- We are called out of fear, insecurity, worry and fright into love, confidence, rest and strength.
- We are called out of being leaves blown by the wind into being “Oaks of righteousness. A Planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor.” (Isaiah 61)
- We are called out of living for a short temporary life into eternal life that will never end.
- We are called out of ashes and destruction into beauty and restoration.
- We are called out of a spirit of heaviness into a garment of praise.
- We are called out of works into grace and mercy.
- We are called out of religion into relationship with the Most High God.
- We are called out of fleshly living into Spirit-filled living.
- We are called out of drunkenness into sober-mindedness, vigilance and a life full of the Holy Spirit.
- We are called out of isolation into the body of Christ.
- We are called out of division and fighting into unity and peace.
- We are called out of defeat into being more than a conqueror in Christ Jesus.
- We are called out of death into life.
- We are called out of blindness into spiritual sight.
- We are called out of spiritual debt into a spiritual inheritance amongst the saints of God.
- We are called out of living an unfulfilled life to being filled with purpose and joy in Jesus.
Your assignment is simply where God has you fulfill the above calling. We are all called to glorify Jesus in everything we do, wherever we are. I think it’s easier to dwell on a physical assignment than it is to dwell on our calling. It says in Ephesians 1 that we need to ask the Spirit to enlighten our hearts so we can know the hope of our calling. Understanding these things in a way that impacts your heart can only happen by the Spirit of God enlightening you and bringing you revelation.
Today, I was swinging back and forth between bemoaning my weaknesses and being over inflated in my pride. I gave both of these things to the Lord. It’s easier to be burdened down with self-pity and guilt or taken over with pride than it is to fix our eyes on Jesus- our need for him and who he saved us to become.
This week, my husband has been complaining about back pain a lot. He had me put my weight on his lower back and then had my son walk on it. After that, the pain left completely. Something was out of alignment that caused the pain. Once it was back in place, he could function normally. Just the smallest mis-alignment can bring pain.
In our spiritual lives, we need to be aligned with Christ. We need our thoughts to stay in a healthy balance of our need for him AND our position in him. “I need you, Jesus, but I am such a sinner. How could you love me? But, yet you do! You really love me. You are incredible Jesus! You make me new. You redeem me from the pit- and you are happy to do it. Praise your holy name!”
Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name. You are holy and righteous. You are high and lifted up, yet you came down to redeem the lost. You sent your son Jesus. You had a plan from the beginning. Thank you!
Your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Lord, your kingdom come. Bring your kingdom. May it be built in the hearts of men and women. Redeem the lost. Raise them up, Lord. Call up those who are hurting and lost- those who have never heard of you. Call them up to your place of righteousness.
Lord, your will be done. Please let it be done in my life. I love you, Lord. Please let it be done in our world and nation. Please let your will be done around the world. Lord, concerning the great shaking that our nation is in- your will be done. While your will is being carried out, please draw your people into a closer relationship with you. Bring repentance and purification.
Lord, let me stand in who I am in Jesus. I don’t want to stand in pride or arrogance. I want to stand in Christ. I don’t want to stand in self-pity or beating myself up- I want to stand in Jesus.
Lord provide for my family’s needs. You hold the future in your hands. You direct my steps. Teach me to hear your voice and to respond. Show me how to prepare my family. Provide for our needs according to your riches in glory!
Forgive me for sin, Lord. Help me to walk in your ways and not my own ways. I forgive those who have sinned against me, in Jesus’ name!
Lead me not into temptation, but deliver me from the evil one. Lord, I stand against the enemy’s tricks and plots against me and my family, in Jesus’ name. I pray that you dismantle his workmanship and his ways. Utterly lay waste to his plans, Lord. Teach me to walk in the power and authority in Jesus Christ.
For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever and ever, Amen!